Podcasts you need to listen to


Is anyone else OBSESSED with podcasts?! I listen to them all the time: on my commute, while I am cooking, in the shower. Apparently my age group (25-34) are the biggest listeners of podcasts with 28% of us being listeners in the USA, a figure that will surely only increase. Personally I love to binge listen, I will listen to an entire series in a week or two and then move on to the next one. This means I am always on the hunt for new podcasts, preferably ones with a whole series I can binge. I have tried many over the years but a few have really stood out and even managed to keep me listening long term. For all of you on the hunt for recommendations, here is my list of favourites!:  
The Guilty Feminist is a place to where being a feminist doesn't mean being perfect. It is a supportive forum to discuss the big topics all 21st century feminists agree on, whilst confessing the hosts and guests “buts” – the insecurities, hypocrisies and fears that undermine our lofty principles.
This podcast is the place for all the feminists who feel guilty that we aren't completely flawless, completely woke, completely above it all. So that's all of us.  
It's won awards for a reason, listen, laugh and feel supported.
Do you like films?! Do you like it when women are in those films?! Me too! 
The Bechdel Cast is a podcast about the under- and misrepresentation of women in film. It's inspired by the Bechdel Test created by cartoonist Alison Bechdel, which requires that a movie has two female characters (with names) who speak to each other about something other than a man. Very few films pass the test, and when they do, it's often by the skin of their teeth.  
The hosts, Jamie and Caitlin, are like your two best friends articulating every off-feeling a film has ever given you, like when you watch a film and wonder why women don't seem to exist in that world. They make the feminist jokes you wish you had made and every clever comment you wish you had come up with.
Listen and have ruined every guilty pleasure film you have ever enjoyed. You have been warned!
Dan Savage is an veteran sex-advice podcaster, think woke Carrie Bradshaw. He launched the "It Gets Better Project" and has gone from a sex advice column to this call-in advice podcast. Every question you have had and didn't know you had about sex has been asked and answered on this show. Not one to listen to at work!
It has definitely helped me be more sex positive as well as communicate better in my relationships with my partners and friends. A friend started me on this show and we regularly reference Dan in our conversations. My boyfriend thought I was talking about a friend called Dan for a while before I explained! 
Listen and learn how to do sex and relationships a bit better. 
I have a weird love of podcasts about liars and how they got away with it, maybe because I am a terrible liar? The best of this kind I have listened to is the Dropout. 
The story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos is an unbelievable tale of ambition and fame gone terribly wrong. It asks how did the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire fool a lot of people for such a long time?
This podcast really makes you think about morals with our business and health sector.
Listen and wonder why are we as a society and, Silicon valley in particular, are so desperate to laud a single person as a visionary leader when really it takes more than one person to change the world? 
On a similar fraud theme, the Dream exposes the con behind multi-level marketing schemes. 
For the uninitiated: MLMs are basically businesses that rely on a task force of ordinary people to sell their products to their social networks. This podcast tells the human side of their story, with personal stories as well as investigations. They explain how these companies sell people with limited options (normally women) the dream of a side enterprise and easy wealth then take their money instead.
Listen to learn more about one of the ugly sides of the American Dream.
The news has always been depressing and for the last couple of years particularly so. Thankfully the Bugle has been there for me throughout to satiree and make fun of it. The show is a weekly comedic comment about the world’s most, and least, important news stories. It is interestingly where John Oliver started before he left the UK and got all famous. 
Listen and laugh at the state of our world. 
Despite not being American, ever since I studied USA politics in school I have been interested in the USA political system and now I just can't look away. Hosted by former Obama staffers, Pod Save America breaks down the week’s news and helps people figure out what matters and how to help. I love that they bring on activists as well as politicians which shows that politics is just a debate, it is impacts real lives every day.
Listen to know what is happening in USA politics without feeling depressed.  
And those are my favourites, I hope you give some a listen and enjoy them! What are your recommendations? I always need more, comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts