Being an Instagram introvert


I have realised recently there are a lot of assumptions people make about you on social media. Many of them are negative, some of them are spot on, others are just plain surprising.
For example, that I am a loud extrovert. Don’t get wrong, I am opinionated and can be talkative but I am definitely an introvert.
I enjoy listening and observing rather than being at the centre of a large group of people. I am at my happiest at a talk where I can listen to other people and learn about their experiences and views or reading a book.
This has been useful throughout my Masters and professional life, I have definitely learnt a lot from many amazing people this way.
As strange as it might sound, I think my introverted nature is part of why I love Instagram. Instagram gives me a way of engaging and connecting with people and communities across the world from behind a screen. 
It protects me from the anxiety I feel when talking to people face to face. We are constantly told to look up from our screens and go engage with people in the"real world" but my worst nightmare is a networking event filled with strangers.
Of course I still attend these often but I am grateful that Instagram has given me a way of connecting outside these rooms. I think these connections can be just as genuine as ones formed face to face.
Also as an introvert I have a lot going on in my head, I love that my blog and Instagram gives me place to express the ideas I have in a thought out way and discuss them with others. I can think and plan before I engage. It gives me an outlet without overwhelming social interaction.
I don't think I am alone in this. The "real world" might be more suited for extroverts but here online, we introverts can shine. 

Comments

Popular Posts